Should You Use Paid Ads to Promote Your Small Business?
Paid advertising can be a great way to guide more traffic to your site and increase business, however, it can be an expensive endeavor if you don’t really know what you are doing.
We all know that email marketing is essential for most businesses online.
“If you’re running a real business, email is still the most effective way to universally reach people who have expressed interest in your product or site. For that, it really can’t be beat.” – Colin Nederkoorn, founder Customer.IO
For this reason, the majority of online marketers already have an email marketing strategy in place.
The only problem? Most beginner email marketers and even the pros aren’t sure which email marketing service to choose.
After all, If you choose the wrong email marketing service – you could end up with a lot of technical issues that could affect your sales and conversions.
This is why most online business owners choose MailChimp as their main email marketing service of choice.
MailChimp is arguably the most popular and widely-used email marketing service on the Internet. (According to MailChimp, more than 15 million users and businesses use MailChimp)
It’s the #1 choice of most online businesses because it’s:
- Free for up to 2000 subscribers
- User-friendly, and simple
- Have all the features that you need (automation workflows, segmentation, etc)
But there has always been one problem with their forever free plan: No automated follow-ups or automation workflows!
This was a deal breaker for so many people who couldn’t afford to invest in an email marketing software. Why?
Because email marketing automation is very important for nurturing leads and increasing conversion rates.
MailChimp allows you to only send 1 automated e-mail to your mailing list in their free plan: A double-opt-in confirmation email. (that’s terrible, right?)
But not anymore, yesterday (May 2, 2017) – MailChimp announced that all 21 of their e-mail marketing automation features are made available for free for all users!
”We’re excited to announce that our powerful marketing automation features are now free for all MailChimp users! No matter what type of plan you’re on—Forever Free, Monthly, Pro, or Pay As You Go—you can now send personalized automations at no extra cost.” says on the company’s blog post.
Email marketing automation allows you to send email campaigns, abandoned cart emails, order notifications, birthday reminders and other types of emails automatically.
This is happy news for online marketers who don’t have a large mailing list or don’t yet have the budget to use the sophisticated capabilities of marketing automation.
”we want to give everyone—no matter their account type or list size—the opportunity to use our marketing automation tools to do just that.” – says MailChimp in their blog post.
In 2017, online business owners of all sizes have started to realize the potential of marketing automation in e-mail marketing.
The old model of e-mail marketing is no longer enough to scale your online business.
Automation makes your e-mail marketing simpler and easier to engage and follow-up with your customers. As well as save you a lot of time automating the process. (Enabling you to grow your business even when you’re away from your computer)
Thus, you can work once – automate the entire process; and focus on other parts of your online business such as acquiring new customers.
With more than 400 million active users, businesses and advertisers from all around the world are starting to realize the enormous profit potential of the world’s best image platform – Instagram.
Not only that but Instagram is also considered one of the best social networking sites in the world in terms of engagement. (More than 60% of users login in daily).
And honestly, If you’re a digital marketer or a small business owner looking to profit and raise brand awareness through social media – then ‘engagement’ is really the only thing you should be concerned about when doing your social media marketing.
As a wise man once said, ”social media marketing is about identifying the essence of engagement.”
Moreover, (and this is very ”shocking”)… 30% of internet users are now on Instagram!
Now that Instagram has officially announced the launch of full-screen ads on Instagram stories worldwide, things will get even better for digital entrepreneurs.
Because more than 150 million people are using Instagram stories every day and it will get even bigger by time.
Now officially, businesses and advertisers from around the world can get started with immersive, full-screen sound-on video ads on Instagram stories.
People will be able to see your ad in full-screen, played with sound-on automatically, and people can skip away by swiping. So it’s basically a non-intrusive native ad, which will probably make it more successful and profitable (but I guess we’ll have to see about that in the near future).
But there’s only one exception, your story ad should have no more than 15 seconds. However, I believe that’s probably more than enough to get people engaged with your ad.
At the moment, ads are available only on a CPM basis. Moreover, advertisers can start running ads on stories using Instagram’s marketing API, or by using Facebook’s advertising management tools such as Adverts Manager and Power Editor.
To create and experiment with Instagram Stories ads:
- Go to Facebook Ads Manager
- Click ‘Create an Advert’
- Select the Reach objective
- Click Placements
- Select the Instagram placement
- Click on ‘Stories’
- Complete the remaining steps to get your ad ready
- Click Review Changes to publish your changes
- Congrats, now you just have to wait for your ad to be approved
It should be noted that – the effectiveness of ads on the Instagram Stories platform is still unclear, because no one has tried it yet other than big brands like Airbnb and others who are already familiar with people’s minds.
However, If you are an advertiser or a business trying to get more exposure and conversions for your products and services, then it doesn’t hurt to try this new advertising feature – you never know, you may end-up getting good results.
We all know that we should improve our marketing strategy using things like feedback from our customers, analyzing the competition, and studying the market.
However, no one will really tell you that you should hear what the marketing greats and masters of the game have to say about how marketing should be done.
Today, I’ve compiled a huge list of wise and inspiring marketing quotes from the history’s greatest marketing and advertising minds. (I’m sure you know some of them)
During my research to compile this list, I’ve been greatly inspired by the sheer amount of wisdom, value, and inspiration found in each of these following quotes.
I suggest you read them, utilize them to improve your marketing strategy, and share them with your friends or employees to inspire them too.
So without further ado, here we go…
1. ”Nobody reads ads, people read what interests them sometimes it’s an ad.” – Howard Gossage.
2. ”Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends.” – Walt Disney.
3. ”Don’t build links, build relationships.” – Rand Fishkin.
4. ”Marketing is a contest for people’s attention.” – Seth Godin.
5. ”When you speak to everyone, you speak to no one.” – Meredith Hill.
6. ”You can’t sell anything if you can’t tell anything.” – Beth Comstock.
7. ”Business has only two functions, marketing and innovation.” – Milan Kundera.
8. ”The best marketing doesn’t feel like marketing.” – Tom Fishburne.
9. ”Make your marketing so useful people would pay for it.” – Jay Baer.
10. ”If you’re a good marketing person, you have to be a little crazy.” – Jim Metcalf.
11. ”We need to stop interrupting what people are interested in and be what people are interested in.” – Craig Davis.
12. ”Content is king, but marketing is queen and runs the household.” – Gary Vaynerchuk.
13. ”Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” – Albert Einstein.
14. ”Content builds relationships, relationships are built on trust, trust drives revenue.” – Andrew Davis.
15. ”Marketing without design is lifeless, and design without marketing is mute.” – Von R. Glitschka.
16. ”If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.” – Henry Ford.
17. ”Content is anything that adds value to the reader’s life.” – Avinash Kaushik.
18. ”Branding is not just about being seen as better than the competition, it’s about being seen as the only solution to your audience’s problem.” – John Morgan.
19. ”I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.” – John D. Rockefeller.
20. ”Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates.
21. ”Advertising brings in the customers, but it is your job to keep them buying from you.” – Chet Holmes.
22. ”People influence people, nothing influences people more than a recommendation from a trusted friend, a trusted referral influences people more than the best broadcast message, a trusted referral is the holy grail of advertising.” – Mark Zuckerberg.
23. ”The most powerful and enduring brands are built from the heart.” – Howard Schultz.
24. ”The shortest path to financial freedom and prosperity is our ability to turn advertising into profit, period. ” – Frank Kern.
25. ”Advertising says to people here’s what we’ve got, here’s what it will do for you, here’s how to get it.” – Leo Burnett.
26. ”The most important thing is a hungry market, not a brilliant burger.” – Gary Halbert.
27. ”Write, rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts.” – Larry L. King.
28. ”You cannot bore people into buying your product, you can only interest them in buying it.” – David Ogilvy.
29. ”Even when you are marketing to your audience or customer base, you are still simply speaking to a single human at any given time.” – Ann Handley.
30. ”Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but about the stories you tell.” – Seth Godin.
31. ”The best ideas come as jokes, make your thinking as funny as possible.” – David Ogilvy.
32. ”Never forget that you only have one opportunity to make a first impression, with investors, with customers, with PR, and with marketing. ” – Natalie Massenet.
33. ”Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first.” – Wendy Piersall.
34. ”Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” – Benjamin Franklin.
35. ”The more content I put out, the more luck I have.” – Gary Vaynerchuk.
36. ”Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.” – Seth Godin.
37. ”They key is, no matter what story you tell, make your buyer the hero.” – Chris Brogan.
38. ”If it doesn’t sell, it isn’t creative.” – David Ogilvy.
39. ”Social media marketing is about identifying the essence of engagement.” – Edgerank Checker.
40. ”If you sell something, you make a customer today. If you help someone, you make a customer for life.” – Jay Baer.
41. ”Marketing is the devil.” – Billy Thornton.
42. ”A brand is no longer what we tell the customer it is, it is what customers tell each other it is.” – Scott cook.
43. ”The greatest mistake marketers make is trying to create demand.” – Eugene Schwartz.
44. ”The man who stops advertising to save money is like the man who stops the clock to save time.” – Thomas Jefferson.
45. ”The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.” – Peter Drucker.
46. ”No sentence can be effective if it contains facts alone. It must also contain emotion, image, logic, and promise.” – Eugene Schwartz.
47. ”The internet makes money for you when you build something that is real, and when it matters to people.” – Darren Rowse.
48. ”In today’s information age of marketing and web 2.0, a company’s website is the key to their entire business.” – Marcus Sheridan.
49. ”Word-of-mouth marketing has always been important, today, it’s more important than ever because of the power of the internet.” – Joe Pulizzi and Newt Barrett.
50. ”Selling stuff is easy, all you gotta do is give away stuff that makes people happy, and then sell stuff that makes them even happier.” – Frank Kern.
51. ”Get closer than ever to your customers, so close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves.” – Steve Jobs.
52. ”When creating content, be the best answer on the internet.” – Andy Crestodina.
53. ”The consumer is not a moron, she is your wife.” – David Ogilvy.
54. ”If your business is not on the internet, then your business will be out of business.” – Bill Gates.
55. ”Copywriters encourage people’s dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions, and help people throw rocks at their enemies.” – Blair Warren.
56. ”Sell the problem you solve, not the product.” – Unknown.
57. ”You don’t close a sale, you open a relationship.” – Patricia Fripp.
58. ”Marketing without data is like driving with your eyes close.” – Dan Zarrella.
59. ”Stop trying to sell with marketing, instead use marketing to help customers buy.” – Unknown.
60. ”Sell a good night’s sleep, not the mattress.” – Unknown.
61. ”Oh, don’t use big words, they mean so little.” – Oscar Wilde.
62. ”On the average, five times as many people read the headlines as read the body copy.” – David Ogilvy.
63. ”The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.” – Maya Angelou.
64. ”To get a great idea, come up with lots of them.” – Thomas Edison.
65. ”Never stop testing, and your advertising will never stop improving.” – David Ogilvy.
66. ”Consumers do not buy products, they buy product benefits.” – David Ogilvy.
67. ”Best way to sell something: don’t sell anything, earn the awareness, respect, and trust of those who might buy.” – Rand Fishkin.
68. ”We use brands to project who we want to be in the world, how we want people to perceive us, and how we want to feel about ourselves.” – Debbie Millman.
69. ”Content is anything that adds value to the reader’s life.” – Avinash Kaushik.
70. ”My words will be simple, my sentences short.” – Claude Hopkins.
71. ”As marketers, we should be changing the mantra from always be closing to always be helping.” – Jonathan Lister.
72. ”Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign his or her neck that says, ‘make me feel important’, not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.” – Mary Kalash.
73. ”People don’t buy for logical reasons, they buy for emotional reasons.” – Zig Ziglar.
74. ”If people like you, they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you, they’ll do business with you.” – Zig Ziglar.
75. ”Make the customer’s problem your problem.” – Shep Hyken.
76. ”The goal of social media is to turn customers into a volunteer marketing army.” – Jay Baer.
77. ”Anticipated, personal and relevant advertising always does better than unsolicited junk.” – Seth Godin.
78. ”Marketing is like sex, everyone thinks they’re good at it.” – Steve Tobak.
79. ”Never forget social media is for reach, but email is for revenue.” – Bryan Eisenberg.
80. ”Marketing is telling the world you’re a rockstar, content marketing is showing the world you are one.” – Robert Rose.
81. ”Computers can’t do it all, there’s no substitute for creative, clever, compassionate human marketers. ” – Holly Wright.
82. ”Knowing who your customers are is great, but knowing how they behave is even better.” – Jon Miller.
83. ”It is no longer enough to satisfy your customers, you must delight them.” – Philip Kotler.
84. ”Ignoring online marketing is like opening a business but not telling anyone.” – Unknown.
85. ”Online is old news, online in social media is today’s news, social media is not a subset of the internet, social media is the internet.” – Unknown.
86. ”Content marketing is a commitment, not a campaign.” – Jon Buscall.
87. ”We’re operating in a world where one good video can lead to a massive social following.” – Mike Henry.
88. ”It’s much easier to double your business by doubling your conversion rate than by doubling your traffic.” – Jeff Eisenberg.
89. ”No matter what you do, your job is to tell your story.” – Gary Vaynerchuk.
90. ”If you build it, you may still need Google Adwords.” – Jennifer Mesenbrink.
91. ”Connect, create meaning, make a difference, matter, be missed.” – Seth Godin.
92. ”The more informative your advertising content, the more persuasive it will be.” – David Ogilvy.
93. ”By publishing content that shows buyers you understand their problems and can show them how to solve them, you build credibility.” – Ardath Albee.
94. ”No matter what, the very first piece of social media real estate I’d start with is a blog.” – Chris Brogan.
95. ”Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, the trouble is I don’t know which half.” – John Wanamaker.
96. ”Give value, give value, give value, and then ask for business.” – Gary Vaynerchuk.
97. ”Good content marketing makes a person stop, read, think, and behave differently.” – Joe Pulizzi.
98. ”If you master email marketing, you will never be poor.” – Alexander Becker.
99. ”Not viewing your email marketing as content is a mistake.” – Chris Baggott.
100. ”Marketing is too important to be left to the marketing department.” – Mike Volpe.
101. ”We do not pitch until we have provided enough value.” – Prosper Taruvinga.
There you go, bookmark this page and read these quotes every day to take your marketing to the next level.
May the wisdom and enlightenment of the above quotes inspire your success in business and life.
When it comes to influencing and persuading people to take a buying decision or raise brand awareness. You most likely need more than marketing skills to make that process more efficient and effective.
Perhaps, something that can help you get inside the minds of your customers and know exactly what they’re thinking about; and how they want their needs to be fulfilled.
”What’s that something” – you may ask.
Well, it’s something that in my opinion is much more powerful in terms of influence and persuasion than just plain marketing techniques that aren’t as effective as they used to be.
If you want to influence your target customers on a deep ”almost-scary” level and get them to click the ”buy now” button without their conscious willingness. (or maybe that’s too far) then you need to…
Apply human psychology into your marketing strategy.
Studying human psychology principles is by far the best way to understand consumer behavior and the factors influencing your customer’s buying decision.
With that said, here is an Infographic that explains some psychological principles and how to use them to improve your marketing strategy and efforts…
*the above Infographic is originally posted on livelongdigital.com.au – feel free to share it with your friends or embed it on your website.
It seems that Facebook is working on a new feature to possibly allow pages to post directly into groups. They didn’t officially release this feature yet. But it is more likely that we will see this new option released by Facebook soon.
After the famous update that Facebook released a few years ago to limit the organic reach of Facebook pages in it’s attempt to push marketers into their paid advertising platform.
It was at that moment when digital marketers gave up on the idea of maintaining their facebook fan pages, and decided to channel their marketing efforts elsewhere.
Everyone kept repeating the same mantra:
”Facebook pages are dead”
It was obvious that Facebook was directly punishing ‘Facebook page owners’ by not letting them reach out to their own audience that they’ve worked hard to build!
However, now Facebook knows that people no longer feel motivated to start a new FB page. After all, It doesn’t make sense to build an audience on a platform that doesn’t even let you reach your audience. But with this new feature, it looks like Facebook is trying to encourage people to use Facebook pages again to reach their audience, not just on their FB page – but also in FB groups.
Facebook groups are very hot right now, everyone and their dog have a Facebook group nowadays. Having a Facebook group is one of the best ways to reach your audience. Because unlike an FB page, every member in your FB group sees your posts when you click the ”post” button.
Having a community around your brand can be a great way to meet and interact with your audience. Many digital marketers have chosen to build their community in a Facebook group, instead of in a forum or a membership site.
After all, Facebook groups have more than 1 Billion monthly active users.
Do you know what that means?
It means that your target clients and customers are more likely to be wondering in Facebook group communities.
People love to share their thoughts, and network with others in Facebook groups more than any other place on the internet.
And now with this new feature, you’ll be able to connect with your fans and build a community around your page.
As you see in the picture above, it seems that you can link your fan page and fb group, plus interact with your fans in the fb group as your page.
Before, it was only possible to get into Facebook groups with your personal fb profile. However, with this upcoming feature; it will be possible to interact in your fb group as your page.
Moreover, this will be a great way to increase your brand’s awareness. Posting with your fb page in a group will familiarise people with your brand. And it will help keep you in their mind.
Facebook is still testing this feature, but once it’s officially released. It may change the way businesses use Facebook groups. And we would probably see an increase in the number of newly-created Facebook groups.
Facebook knows that people love to spend time interacting in Facebook groups, and this is one of the reasons Facebook is constantly working on improving the user-experience of fb groups.
Again, this feature would be a game changer for brand and companies around the word. Why? because they will get to interact directly with their fans and customers, and increase brand awareness.
Want to build your own profitable online business but not sure which business model to choose?
There are many business models online that have the potential to generate a lot of revenue and profits, but some business models are more scalable and have a bright future more than the others.
Smart digital marketers and small-business owners always monitor the market for new opportunities, and they’re very careful about where they invest most of their time, money and effort.
Why is that?
Because if you didn’t tap into new emerging markets and opportunities, then your business will not prosper and you’ll be left behind.
Moreover, each business model requires a different type of investment and marketing strategy. This is why you should choose something that you’re comfortable with and knowledgeable about.
Today, I’m going to share with you the 7 best and most profitable online business models in 2017 and a brief insight on how you can get started with each business model.
So let’s get started…
A lot of people recently have been talking about e-commerce and it’s huge potential for generating massive profits.
It seems that e-commerce is the hottest new trend in the online marketing world. If you happen to be in the internet marketing space, then I’m sure you’ve heard of people claiming to be crushing it using Shopify dropshipping.
So is e-commerce worth it? should you join the action?
Definitely. There’s a huge potential in the e-commerce space in 2017, millions of people are already buying a lot of products online. So why not offer your product too?!
To get started fast with E-commerce using Shopify (the top e-commerce platform), you should select a niche for your store, purchase a Shopify plan, setup everything, talk to some sellers from China (Aliexpress), and send traffic to your store (preferably using facebook ads). And Boooom… congratulations, you’re officially rich! No really I’m not kidding, that’s close enough to how everything works! I know some friends who make up to 15K per day using Shopify.
Why Shopify and not other e-commerce platforms?
Because Shopify gives you all the necessary tools (themes, plugins, etc) that you need to start a successful online store. Plus with Facebook’s laser ad targeting system, it’s a little bit easier to break even and start getting profitable with Shopify stores.
However, it’s not all rainbows and unicorns, there is a lot of technical skills and work involved with running a successful Shopify store, you’ll need to take care of things like customer service, dealing with sellers who can barely speak English, running advertising campaigns, and a bunch of other stuff. But overall, considering it’s huge potential, it’s totally worth it.
2. Amazon FBA
This is somehow similar to running an e-commerce store, as it also taps into the huge global potential of electronic commerce.
The only difference is that with Amazon FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) you’re tapping into the enormous daily traffic of Amazon.com, the world’s most popular and dominant online marketplace.
Unlike Shopify, with Amazon FBA’s business model – everything is hosted on Amazon.com; order processing and customer service is on them. You send your items to an Amazon warehouse and they take care of the rest, your products are then listed on Amazon’s search results. When someone searches for something, and your product comes up, they’ll probably buy it.
Because Amazon.com is not like Facebook, YouTube or any other popular site. People go to those sites to be entertained or informed mostly for free. But with Amazon.com, ONLY buyers go there! So it’s a good idea to have your products there.
The best thing about Amazon (FBA) is that you don’t have to buy traffic, or deal with the dreaded customer service.
3. Mobile app development
Mobile usage is growing massively, according to a report; 80% of internet users own a smartphone.
It’s everyone’s best friend, just like Gary Vee once said: ”I’d rather have a thief steal my wallet and stab me in the back with a knife, than steal my phone!”
It’s crazy. Moreover, people are always looking to download interesting apps that can entertain them or fulfill their needs. Everyone wants the latest smartphone that has 256GB, so that they can have space to download plenty of apps. It’s a very lucrative business with great potential.
If you want to get started with mobile apps, you’ll have to sit down and do some real work learning programming languages like C++, java, and Objective-C. It’s no longer possible to just ”reskin the apps”, buy the source code, change some colors with photoshop, and dump it into the app store.
Pro tip: if you don’t have time to learn programming languages, you can outsource the app development work to an experienced application developer from Pakistan or something.
4. CPA Marketing
CPA (Cost per action) marketing is the lesser-known sister of traditional affiliate marketing, it’s one of the best and fastest ways of make money online.
It’s basically a lead-generation system, companies or advertisers pay you for generating leads for their business, they typically ask for simple actions such as, an email sign up, free-trial offer, or an app download/install.
This is how CPA Marketing works…
You sign-up with an affiliate network (also called CPA network), you get access to offers, you choose which offer you’d like to promote and is more likely to convert (you check the EPCs ”earnings-per-click”), you setup a landing page for that offer on your website that should have a fast VPS or dedicated server for the page to load fast so you don’t lose visitors, you setup tracking (such as Voluum) for the ads so you can optimize after you launch the campaign, and then you send traffic (preferably paid traffic) to that offer.
I just saved you thousands of dollars. You’re welcome! 😉
The beautiful thing about (CPA) marketing is that you don’t have to generate a sale in order to get paid, you simply generate an action, which is much easier as conversions tend to be higher.
5. Email marketing
Although email marketing isn’t as profitable as it used to be possibly due to Gmail’s promotion tab. It’s still one of the most profitable marketing channels with the potential to generate massive returns of investment (ROI).
According to statistics, email has an ROI of 3800% which means for every $1 spent you get $38 back.
Email without a doubt is one of the best ways to reach your audience and build long-term relationships with your clients and customers. Everything else fails in comparison.
Every online business needs to have an email marketing strategy, no matter what. Why? Because you can literally market anything under the sun using email. You’ve just developed a fancy app? that’s cool, send it to your email list. You can literally do anything.
Even if you think you don’t need an email marketing strategy (and you’d be wrong!), work on building an email list of potential customers.
6. Coaching/consulting agency
A business owner or an entrepreneur has a problem with his digital marketing strategy. What does he do? he picks up the phone and calls a digital marketing consultant to ask him for his expert advice in that particular area.
That is basically the role of consultants and consulting agencies, which is to help clients solve their business problems, and provide a solution that can help them improve their business strategy and generate more revenue.
Consulting agencies can be a very lucrative business, a lot of professionals end up starting their own consulting business as a means to share their expertise with other people.
However, there is a lot of things involved with starting an online marketing agency, such as the legal work, attracting clients and actually being very knowledgeable about your topic of expertise.
You probably didn’t expect this one. I’m sure you don’t know much about cryptocurrencies, other than the fact that Bitcoin is growing massively like there’s no tomorrow, which was created by an anonymous person that refers to himself as Satoshi Nakamoto.
Cryptocurrencies are basically a digital currency designed to secure online transactions with encrypted information and no middle man. No one controls cryptocurrencies, no government, no bank, nobody.
By the time of writing this article, Bitcoin – the most valuable cryptocurrency is worth more than $1,012.09!
The sooner you start investing and trading with cryptocurrencies the better because a lot of experts predict that cryptocurrencies will become the official currencies of the future.
There are a lot of profitable business opportunities online, but it depends on your skills to take advantage of these opportunities.
Whatever business model you choose, you should focus only on that particular business model until you understand the ins and outs of it, this way you get to increase your chances of success and prosperity.
So what about you? what online business model do you prefer?!
Everyone and their dog have a blog nowadays. But most of them don’t make any money from their blog, it’s just a hobby for them. Perhaps, It’s merely an outlet for their thoughts, feelings, and experiences about the world.
But why is that? why their blog doesn’t make money?
Believe it or not, a lot of people don’t know how to make money with their blog, or maybe they’re not interested in making money. Or possibly they want to make money blogging, but just don’t know how to do it.
Anyway, it’s a sad fact that the majority of bloggers (81% to be exact) never make it to $100!
That’s just the reality of it, most bloggers have no idea about what they’re doing, this is could be because of many reasons such as:
- Giving up too soon
- No real interest in the topic
- No idea how to monetize the blog
- No technical skills
But the good news is that you can actually start and grow a successful blog if you know the exact ”right things” to follow.
Here are 17 valuable tips that are guaranteed to make you a better blogger:
1. Build a list
I’m sure you’ve heard this advice a million times.
Of course, everyone knows that they should build a list. But if you don’t, then you’ve to develop an email marketing strategy for your blog, because email marketing is still by far the most profitable marketing channel online. Reports have found that bloggers who use email marketing earn 447% more than those who don’t.
However, building an email list is just the first step of the process. You’ve to actually know how to make money from that email list.
How do you that?
By having an effective email marketing strategy, you need to know a lot of things such as:
- how to write compelling emails
- what to promote to your list
- how to increase your open rate and CTR
- how often should you mail your list
- what email marketing software to use
Fortunately, you’ll learn those things as time goes on. I recommend you ‘build a list’ even if you don’t know what to do with it. 2 years later, you’ll thank yourself for doing that.
2. Blog about your passion
Some bloggers only follow the money, they blog about topics they know nothing about. But you know what happens when you blog about a topic you’re not interested in?
You get bored, and you give up.
When you blog about a topic you’re very passionate about, you’ll be self-motivated, it won’t feel like work – and you’ll easily produce a lot of content. Also, (and this is very important)… you won’t give up.
If you’re not passionate about your topic, then at least research and learn about your chosen topic and try to become interested in it. Also, people have to be spending money on products and services related to the topic you’re passionate about. This is a sign that you can money with your passion.
And one more thing, people have to be already spending money on products and services related to the topic you’re passionate about. This is a sign that you can money with your passion.
3. Find a gap in the market
If you want to have a successful blog or to guarantee the success of your blog even before you launch it, you’ll have to fill a gap in your chosen market. You’ve to do some market research to find out the needs, wants and unfulfilled desires of your market. And see if you can fill those gaps.
Read other blogs in your market/niche and try to identify the content that they’re not providing to their audience. See if you have something new or more in-depth that other blogs didn’t write about.
Go to questions & answers sites as well as social media sites and see what kind of questions and problems people have. See if you’re able to offer them answers and solutions to their problems, try to find an unmet consumer need in the structure of their questions. Or if you couldn’t find any gaps in your market probably due to market saturation, try to make better content than the competition.
While I’m writing this, other bloggers are probably writing their content on blogging platforms that own their content. When you use a blogging platform such as Google’s Blogger or WordPress.com, you don’t really own the content, you don’t have a lot of control over your content, they can close your account at any time, sometimes you can’t even put ads on to monetize your content.
So what to do instead?
Choose WordPress.org as your blogging platform. More than 15,886,000 websites on the entire internet use WordPress.org as their preferred blogging platform. WP.org is arguably the top blogging platform in the world.
WordPress.org is self-hosted and an open source project which means you’ve full control over everything. You can customize your blog just the way you want it, you can also add plug-ins to enhance the capability and efficiency of your blog.
There is always the option to create your own HTML website, you can then create whatever functionality you want on your blog. But if you’re not a web developer or you don’t have enough money to hire a web developer/designer to do it for you, then stick to wordpress.org, it’s more newbie-friendly.
5. Be consistent
”Consistency always leads to excellence, whatever you do in life always be consistent.”
If you want to have a successful blog, you’ll need to have a posting schedule. And you have to respect that schedule. This is especially important when you already have an audience, they’ll start to know when you publish a blog post, and they’ll start to expect you to commit to that posting schedule.
Don’t make the mistake of blogging each day, and then giving up after 2 weeks. On the other hand, don’t blog too much, you’ll feel burn out. And you may give up or lose interest.
Most bloggers decide to publish a post every single week. A weekly post is a great posting schedule, you’ll have a lot of time to research, prepare and write down your article. Also, your blog will rank higher, Google loves blogs who post regularly.
6. Learn search engine optimization (SEO)
If you’re blogging to build an audience or to generate leads for your online business, then you must learn the basics of search engine optimization (SEO).
Search engine traffic is one of the highest targeted traffic sources on the web, visitors coming from search engines like Google tend to be more engaged with your content. And they’re more likely to view more than one page on your website.
You also need to make sure it is easier for search engines to index your website, you can do this by installing plugins such as Yoast SEO, and Google XML sitemap. These two plugins will automatically help search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo to better understand and index your blog.
7. Grow your presence on social media
The people that you’re trying to reach are most likely to be on one of the social media sites. You have to reach them where they hang out the most, If they’re on Facebook, go to facebook. And so on.
Everyone is on social media nowadays, it’s one of the best online marketing tools for reaching your audience and boosting your traffic.
In order to improve your blog’s traffic and exposure with social media, you need to have a proven social media marketing strategy. There are a lot of social media sites out there, they’re everywhere. If you focus
There are a lot of social media sites out there, they’re everywhere. Don’t focus on all of them, you’ll get distracted and they’ll take a lot of your valuable time. Instead, you should only focus on the ones that are most likely to have your target audience. (e.g. if you’ve a ”fitness blog”, then it’s better to only focus on Instagram, YouTube and possibly Snapchat.)
8. Focus on one blog
Blogging experts usually have more than one blog, this doesn’t mean you should so the same. Why? Because they probably had only one blog when they first started their blogging career.
If you’re just getting started, it’s preferable to focus on just one blog. This way you’ll be putting all your efforts into this one blog. Thus, your chances of success will increase.
Choose a topic that you know a lot about, and start a blog about that topic. And focus only on that ”one blog’‘ until you find success. As a wise person once said: ”If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.”
9. Learn marketing
Why should bloggers learn marketing? – you may wonder.
Bloggers typically don’t know much about marketing. blogging is their profession after all and not marketing. However, I really believe that top bloggers are also knowledgeable about marketing. I’m sure that at some point in their blogging career they asked themselves these questions:
- how can I increase traffic to my blog?
- how can I make my blog SEO-friendly?
- how can I engage my audience?
- how can I get them to sign-up for my newsletter?
I think you would agree with me when I say that the answers to the above questions will dramatically increase your blogging success.
10. Improve user experience (UX)
A lot of things happen when you work on improving your blog’s user experience…
- visitors will spend more time on your site
- you’ll rank higher on search engines
- your website’s conversion rate will increase
User experience (UX) refers to the feelings and attitudes of your target customers towards your products, services, blog or other marketing material.
You should make it easier for your readers to navigate your site, don’t put up a lot of annoying ads on your blog, choose a theme that focuses on user experience, and make sure the content is easily readable.
11. Invest in paid traffic
Just like I said before, bloggers are not marketers. They prefer to get traffic to their blog using organic free methods.
Of course, free traffic works and often times it is more targeted than paid advertising. But there’s one problem with it…
It’s very slow and hard to scale.
If you are really serious about growing your blog and making money blogging then you should definitely consider investing in running paid promotions to get people to read your content or sign-up to your mailing list.
12. Be a guest blogger
When you’re just starting out, you’ve no audience, your blog is like an empty classroom. So it doesn’t make sense to just keep writing while you already know that not a lot of people won’t find your content.
Guest blogging is one of the best (and free) content marketing tools to boost traffic and leads to your website. As well as positioning yourself as an expert on your chosen topic.
Find other blogs in your niche market, and offer to write content for their audience in exchange for a link back to your site.
13. Improve your writing
There’s no way around it, if you want to become a highly successful blogger, you’ll need to learn how to write in a way that makes people interested in your content, and hungry for more.
This doesn’t mean that you should learn how to write like a college professor (unless that’s your target market), to reach a bigger audience you’ll have to simplify your writing and make it readable for everyone.
14. Network with other bloggers
Networking is the best way to build relationships with other professionals. It can bring a lot of benefits to you such as getting them to link back to you, and help you in other ways.
In every market that you’re trying to enter, there are tons of other bloggers who are already creating content similar to yours. Ask them out for a cup of coffee and try to build a relationship with them.
But if you’re awkward in social situations and you always prefer to sit in the corner alone observing other people while scared of embarrassing yourself. Then you don’t have to worry about any of that on the world wide web.
A simple cold email is more than enough to get other bloggers interested in you and your blog.
15. Listen to your audience
Every blogger reaches a point in their blogging career where they get that dreaded ”writer’s block”. They get stuck there, and they don’t know what to write about.
Luckily, if you listen to your audience’s needs; you’ll never run out of content ideas. When you constantly get feedback from your blog’s readers, you’ll always have something to write about.
But what should you do if you’re just starting out?
It’s simple, just go to similar blogs in your niche and see what their audience wants.
16. Don’t be afraid to sell
A lot of people feel awkward when they’re trying to sell something, they view ”selling” as something bad or immoral. And they just can’t be themselves anymore.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. If you really trust in your product or services and you believe it can achieve good results and help solve your customer’s problem. Then there’s nothing wrong with selling.
In fact, by selling you’re actually making a favor to them. Why? Because you’re not hiding the solution to their problem from them. You’re making them a favor.
Don’t be afraid to put up ads on your blog, or ask your readers to buy something from you.
17. Track your results and optimize
Lastly, after doing all of the above – you have to see what works for you and what doesn’t and optimize accordingly.
You’ll have to find your own methods and way of doing things, If Instagram works for everybody – perhaps, it may not work for you. You never know.
Experiment with new traffic sources, new blogging strategies and other marketing methods and see what works best for your market.
Blogging is one of the best content marketing strategies online, companies in 2017 are starting to put more effort, money, and resources into developing their blogging strategy, it’s no longer just a ”hobby”.
Moreover, Blogging can be a great way to start your day and feeling more productive. So go out there and share your thoughts and knowledge with the world.
[Online Prosperity Show]- Steve Brossman- Shows You How To Become An Authority And Standout In A Crowded Market.
In this interview , we talk to Steve Brossman, The Authority Catalyst. Steve currently helps successful business owners and entrepreneurs uncover their Authority Factor and package it in a way to help them Stand Out in their market.
He then works with them to create their own Customer Blueprint and deliver their message via Video Marketing, Publishing a Book and Deliver Profitable Talks.
Find out more about Steve here http://www.stevebrossman.com/
#prosperminute #onlineprosperityblueprint #opb
I help coaches, consultants and other service professionals, packadge, brand and market their services so they have a business thats enjoyable and profitable.
Connect with Prosper here
Everyone loves free traffic, especially small business owners and marketers who don’t have enough advertising budget to experiment with paid traffic sources.
But there’s only one problem with free traffic…
You see, free traffic is not really free. When we hear the words, ”free traffic” we tend to think that we don’t have to do much to get this free traffic to our website. But in reality, free traffic is difficult to master.
… And it’s very hard to scale.
But the good news is… even though you’ve to spend some time and effort to master this free traffic sources, at least you don’t have to pay anything for it. There are bloggers, and online marketers out there who make a very good income with only free traffic sources.
Because these free traffic sources are available for everyone, some of them are more effective than others, but you’ve to try them yourself to see which free traffic sources work best for you.
Today, I’m going to share with you 16 (high-quality) free traffic sources that’ll increase traffic to your website, get you more brand exposure, and eventually help you grow your online business.
So let’s get started.
1. Search engines
Visitors that come to your site from a search engine like Google are highly targeted, they tend to be more interested in your content. Why? Because unlike paid ads, you’re not the one who’s targeting them. They’re the ones who requested to see your content.
According to statistics, search engine visitors tend to be more engaged with your content, and they usually check more than one page on your website, unlike visitors who come from other traffic sources.
So make sure your content is of high quality, so that it ranks higher on search engines.
2. Email newsletters
One of the best ways to get repeated free traffic to your site on-demand is by building an email list of followers and potential customers.
It’s also probably the fastest, highest converting, and most targeted traffic on this list.
Whenever you want to get traffic to a new page or offer, you simply write an email and click the ”send” button and booom… you get instant free traffic.
So make sure your email marketing strategy is solid.
3. Direct traffic
You probably didn’t expect to see this traffic source on this list. You’re probably even wondering what the heck is direct traffic.
Direct traffic refers to visitors who come directly to your website, without using any search engine. They write down your website directly onto their internet browser.
Why do they do this?
It’s because they’re familiar with your website, they probably love your content.
To take advantage of direct traffic, your domain name has to be highly memorable. But most importantly… your website has to offer a lot of value to your readers.
4. Social media
The best thing about social media is that it’s free.
And the second best thing is that people live in social media. People spend hours everyday on social media sites, most people are even addicted to it.
This is a good thing for us marketers and small business owners. Why? because we can easily (and freely) interact with our target customers and clients for free.
There are a lot of social networking sites out there, but you should focus on the ones that could possibly have your target customers.
Just ask yourself this question: ”where would my typical customer spend most of his time online? Is it on Facebook? Twitter? Snapchat?” And simply, focus your marketing efforts on that particular platform.
Most marketing specialists predict that online video is going to explode in 2017.
A lot of people nowadays watch YouTube content on their mobile devices more than they watch any of the U.S. cable networks, says Google.
If video is not a part of your marketing strategy in 2017, then you’re missing out on a lot of opportunity to grow your online business.
Of course, video content is time-consuming and needs a lot of materials, equipment, and software. But considering the huge growth of online video, it’s really worth it.
6. Guest blogging
When you’re just starting out, writing articles for yourself will not get you much traffic.
Instead, you’ve to look for other websites in your niche market and offer to write for them in exchange for a link back to your site, or a mention of your site at the end of the article.
Guest blogging is one of the best ways to hack the growth of your website or blog.
But it’s not for everyone, you’ve to be a really good writer if you want to write for large websites with bigger volumes of traffic.
Quora is a question and answer community where people ask questions, and other users answer them. Basically, everyone contributes into the community to provide value.
Moreover, Quora posts tend to rank higher in search engines.
Try typing a question in Google, and you’ll probably get lot of Quora posts that may have the answer to your question.
Google seems to love Quora and it’s community of users. To start with Quora, simply sign-up, fill out your profile information and start contributing to the community with a link back to your website.
8. Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking can be a great way to share your content, build backlinks, and get traffic to your site.
If you’re not familiar with the term, it’s basically a way to share your content to other sites called – social bookmarking sites.
Social bookmarking sites such as Stumbleupon, Digg, and Delicious can help you get a lot of exposure and traffic, and introduce the right people to your site.
9. Referring sites
Referring traffic is basically the traffic that other websites send to your site.
Of course, you can’t expect other websites to just link back to you without you having to do anything.
If your site doesn’t have high-quality and valuable content and resources, then obviously no one will mention your website’s content in their posts.
Referring traffic is a great source of free web traffic, but the real challenge is that you’ve to convince other websites to send traffic to your site by reaching out to them and networking with them.
10. Forum marketing
Before the explosion of social networking sites, people used to interact with each other in forums.
Forums are online communities where people interact with each other, ask questions, and generally have a good and fun discussion about the topics they’re interested in.
But how does forum marketing works? and how to get traffic from forums?
Forums are very strict about self-promotion. But usually, they give you a small space that shows up under your every forum post where you can add a short call-to-action (CTA) and link back to your site.
11. Blog commenting
Commenting on other blogs in your niche market is a great way to network with others and build backlinks to your site.
Blog commenting is one of the most favorite ways for bloggers and marketers to build backlinks, rank higher in search engines, and get traffic to their sites.
This method has gained a lot of popularity in the blogging and online marketing world because it’s easy to get started with, you only have to look for blogs in your niche and comment on their site.
12. Article marketing
Article marketing is just a fancy way of saying submitting articles to article directories, such as ezinearticles.com
Although this marketing method is not as good as it used to be. It still works if you know how to write short and valuable articles about your chosen topic.
13. Slides submission
If you know how to use PowerPoint, then slides submission could be a great way to get traffic to your site.
You can make a simple presentation about your chosen topic, and then upload to a slide sharing platform such as Linkedin’s slideshare.net.
The great thing about slides submissions is that your slides will remain for a long time on that platform, this means you’ll get to have recurring free traffic to your site.
14. Web directories
A web directory is a website that specializes in organizing websites into categorized topics.
The benefit of submitting your site to one of the web directories is that you get a link back to your site, and Google takes notice of links coming to your site, which could result in higher rankings, and more traffic.
But be warned that not all web directories are equal, some of them are abandoned. But as a start I suggest you submit your site to a reliable directory such as webdirectory.com
This one takes more work than the others.
You’ll have to write a book, include a link to your website inside the book, and wait for buyers to come back to your site.
A lot of self-published authors use this method to build and grow their email lists.
16. Word of mouth
I bet you didn’t expect this one.
You’re probably asking yourself, ”how the heck can word of mouth marketing help me in the world of online marketing?”
This is how word-of-mouth marketing works…
When someone (a visitor, customer, etc) likes your website, and loves the content that you’re sharing. Then he may tell his friends about how great your website or product is.
And we all have a tendency to trust the recommendations of our friends, over people we don’t know.
The above free traffic sources make a great opportunity for small business owners, marketers webmasters, or anyone who doesn’t have a big budget to experiment with paid traffic.
Most online marketing specialists agree on the fact that you shouldn’t depend on one source of traffic. In other words, don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
However, focusing your traffic generation effort on all the above 16 free traffic sources is also a bad idea. It’s better to choose one source of free traffic until you master it. And then you can move to the next one.